Information for visitors
Last Update On : 2014-09-17
- Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal, at an altitude of 1,310 m.
- Nepal time is 5 hours 45 minutes ahead of GMT and 15 minutes ahead of Indian standard time.
- The official language is Nepali; however, English is widely used in business.
- To enter Nepal, all visitors (other than those from India) must obtain valid travel documents or visa.
- Average maximum temperatures during summer generally range from over 40o C in the lowlands to approximately 20o C in the midland hills and 16o C at 4,000 m in the highlands. In winter, much colder temperatures prevail at higher elevations.
- Nepali Rupee (NRs) notes come in the denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000, and coins come in NRs1 and 2 denominations.
- Indian currency is accepted as legal tender up to INR 100 denominations. INR 500 and 1,000 notes are not accepted in Nepal.
- Foreign currencies must be exchanged only through the banks or authorized foreign exchange dealers. The receipts from such transactions are to be obtained and retained.
Back To Top